Worst. Setup. Ever.
Tonight consisted of:
1. Putting the hardware together, cabling up etc.
2. Wrestling with the networking for the best part of an hour to get it to connect. In the end – I took all the spaces out of the SSID, did a manual setup and used static IP addressing and Google’s nameservers. Then it worked. Sadly, it demonstrated it was working by…
3. Spending two hours downloading an update.
4. Next up, I made a backup copy of my 3DS’s 32Gb memory card (and lucky I did – as you’ll soon hear).
5. Spent an hour doing a content migration from the Wii to the Wii-U.
6. Created profiles, added friends, stuck monster hunter in the drive.
7. Discovered a slight hiccup in the Monster Hunter 3DS<->Wii-U migration system. It moves the WHOLE DATAFILE, not individual users. Which is annoying as #2 Son has a fairly advanced player on my 3DS. The idea is we’d be able to do multiplayer between the 3DS and Wii-U. But the saves can only exist in one place at a time. Wait! Remember that backup I took of the 3DS SD card? You guessed it. Created #2 son an account on the Wii-U. Each account has its own datastore. Moved the save (including his player) to his account. Turned off the 3DS. Stuck the SD card in the Mac and copied the backup I made over. Booted up – yuss! Saves recovered to the 3DS. So, we can both play on the Wii-U and 3DS – we just need to be careful who copies what where…
It’s all going to end in tears, isn’t it?
I’m going to bed. I might get a go tomorrow 🙂