Chilli Con Carne
Nothing complicated here – no weird and wonderful chillies that you need to travel 50 miles to buy. All off the shelf stuff, but tastes amazing and gets better after a couple of days.
If you decide to make a huuuuuuuge pot of it, either portion it and freeze it or heat the whole pot every time, adding a little water.
If you’re feeling exotic, finely chop and couple of habaneros and add them and cut back a little on the chilli powder. Serve it however the hell you like – rice, chapatti, tacos, enchiladas, your call.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2lb (900g) minced beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- chilli powder to taste – minimum of 2-3 tbsp
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper – optional – season to taste at the end
- 1 x 5oz (140g) can tomato puree
- 8fl oz (250ml) beer
- 15fl oz (450ml) fresh tomatoes, blanched skinned cooked and sieved – she right passata FTW 🙂
- 12 oz (350g) cooked or canned red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 50g-ish dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids, chopped
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and cook the onion until softened, about 5 mins.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat with the side of a spoon.
- Stir in the garlic, brown sugar, chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the tomato puree, beer and passata and stir to mix. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 50 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and chocolate and simmer 5 mins longer, uncovered.
- OM NOM NOM